Friday, February 11, 2011

Kickoff


So here we are. I have decided to start blogging again. I might keep it up for a while and I may not. Let's see.

What prompted me to start again is that I have started coding again and it I can share my thoughts and have somewhere to park my discoveries and also vent my spleen on the idiocies of the stuff I have to work with.

I have just completed a nice little month long project to create a framework for a touchscreen wayfinding system in shopping malls. One in Saudi and one in Jeddah. At the customers request I did in in Visual Basic. It all went not to badly and I managed to hand over the code and a usable (if not polished) manual in the calendar month I originally quoted. Nice when that happens.

It was quite pleasing to find I hadn't lost the knack after some years of designing solutions rather than doing the work (although I secretly snuck in a bit of coding here and there.) It was also nice to to find I still got satisfaction from making something that is going to be used by real people to do real stuff.

So onward and upward. I have no more work on the horizon so I am exploring. I'm creating a shop in PHP on the XAMP stack and I have a bit of stuff to do on a database solution. I started them both before this job came up and I can pick them up again.

Oh, and blog a little about what I am doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment